This post has been sitting here as a draft for a few days now, so I guess I better go ahead and finish it. I want to do a decade recap but first I have to get 2009 out of the way.
1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
I called someone else’s kid a string of curse words. The little fucker (who was about 13 or 14) was messing with my tots at a neighborhood party. Before I always avoided saying stuff to kids who weren’t mine.
2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
2009 was so crazy we didn’t really bother to set goals. In 2008, I kept about 75% of my goals. I knew coming into it that 2009 was going to be batshit crazy.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Um, I don’t think so. Some people I worked with procreated.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
We lost 2 fish. George’s corpse was never found. Clancy didn’t make it but a couple of months. My great-grandma died but that was barely a blip on the radar. There are some people you just hope will kick the bucket.
5. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
Boredom. Time to drive to FL.
6. What countries did you visit?
Nowhere that needed a passport. Going to west GA is like visiting another country, though.
7. What date from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why:
June 10. We finalized the adoption of our kiddos!
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Putting an end to this reproductive nonsense. I gained 3 kids and was rid of a uterus all in a year!
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not keeping my temper under control. There was quite a lot that pissed me off in 2009 that I’m still mad about.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Yeah, but that’s pretty much the way it goes. I was in the hospital for a bit with atrial fibrillation from low potassium (woot, the first time I ever got a machine to see my heart going nuts!), got a hysterectomy, and basically spent a lot of time on my back.
I also learned that if your pulse goes over 200 all the machines go nuts and people flood the room with gel and paddles. My pulse is always between 100 and 130, so when they rushed in and I was just pissed off and yelling everyone was confused.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
A portable air conditioner. It made the sunroom a whole lot more fun this summer!
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Spooks. He’s always been antisocial but this year he really opened up. He spent most of this year snuggled up in my bed, behind my knees. He’s let the kids pet him, played with the dogs, shamelessly stolen fleece and plastic bags, etc… He’s totally shed his “I’m going to kill you in your sleep” demeanor.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Kanye West’s. No, wait, that just made me laugh a whole lot. There was quite a bit of corporate fuckwaddery this year, if you want to read back through my “free business analysis” posts.
14. Where did most of your money go?
To the grocery store. I’m growing giants!
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Signing 33s. We were finally on the path to adoption and out of the foster care circus. It was awesome!
16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
Family Force 5’s Love Addict. I had a huge FF5 love affair this year.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? happier
ii. thinner or fatter? about the same
iii. richer or poorer? rich like dark chocolate
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
kept up with relationships outside of our house
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
thinking I was going to die
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
trying really hard not to visit the ER. Something about the holidays causes weird, plague-like symptoms. From just before Christmas to just after my birthday I normally have the flu and/or bronchitis.
21. Name one random thing that people would be surprised to know about you.
I have absolutely no ability to dance. It’s my white genes.
22. Did you fall in love in 2009?
Over and over!
23. How many one-night stands?
All of my stands tend to last a few months, at least, before I trade them out with other stands. The current stand is a mahogany color with a nice little drawer in the bottom. It’s holding up my alarm clock with super big numbers and a box of tissues.
24. What was your favorite TV program?
House. Season 6 is great. The end of season 5 was not so great.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Before I just mildly disliked the people who were involved with my son’s last foster home, but now that I’m learning more we’re treading into hate territory. If anyone deserves a box of poo, it’s them.
26. What was the best book you read?
There were a lot of great books this year – David Baldacci and James Rollins are at the top of my mind.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I listened to a lot of FF5, T-Pain, and Chamillionaire this year. Also, John Legend and Jamie Foxx. The birds love male voices with a strong bass line (and so do I.)
28. What did you want and get?
Diamond doves. I’ve missed having birds!
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I shared a birthday party with my daughter. I was 28 and she was 5.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Less medical drama! There are certain places and people I expect drama from – the doctor’s office and pharmacist’s should not be included!
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
Casual and bright. I wore a lot of color this year and I really enjoyed it. I also mixed up very casual pieces (like snarky t-shirts) with skirts and heels. It was fun.
34. What kept you sane?
Sleeping children and animals. They take the steam out of the burning inferno of stress! The animals have been great while I’ve been sick – the cats and Abbie pile up around me and snuggle.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Stephen Fry. I’m not alone in thinking he’s fascinating.
I like to watch him much in the same way I do Robin Williams. I’d love to see a brain-map on how their ideas flow.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
The internet being blocked in Tehran. That was just nonsense!
37. Whom did you miss?
The girls we thought we were going to adopt in the first place. It tore us all up when the courts pulled their fuckwaddery. In all truth, it worked out the best – we have our kids and they were adopted by another great family. I still miss the crap out of them, though.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
My brother’s new girlfriend. She’s the first gf that me and my sister approve of. Who knows if it will stick, but I think she’s great.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009:
Back up your hard drives in two or three different places. When your back-up fails things sucketh greatly!
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
From Skillet’s Hero
I’m gonna fight for whats right
Today I’m speaking my mind
And if it kills me tonight
I will be ready to die